Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Scavenger Hunt at the Souk


I had the amazing opportunity to photograph at a charity event held at the Mutrah Souk here in Muscat. They are opening a new museum here in Muscat called the Center for Omani Dress. The intent is to preserve the historic and traditional clothing styles of Oman before it is lost to the ages. Oman, as most of the Middle East countries, was a tribal area. Each tribal area was identified by their clothing. Since they are just opening this museum, they sponsored a scavenger hunt with prizes and a raffle to raise money and generate interest in the new museum. As a member of the Photography Club of the American Women's Guild here in Muscat, I was invited to take photos for the Center's use in future publications. I won't share all of the 500+ pictures I took last Saturday, but I will share some of the best/most interesting ones!

Before heading off early Saturday morning, Don insisted on taking a picture of me with all my gear: tripod, camera with bag, hat, water, sunscreen, GPS, chair--the list goes on.

After driving about 45 minutes I arrived at Riyam Park. I wasn't sure I'd make it there on time, and sure enough, I missed my turn, ended up driving back several miles to the closest turn-around, but I was darned sure not to miss my road the second time!

Riyam Park is notable for this landmark, shaped like an incense burner. Incense burners just like this are for sale all over the souk. At the base of this hill is the park, where I hope to get to take my granddaughter in a few weeks.


The view from the edge of the park is gorgeous, and the entrance to the park is marked by this roundabout--yes, those are "jugs" actually pouring water. The sea is in the background. It was a beautiful day. Note the sculpted shrubbery in the front of the picture. Shrubs sculpted in designs and shape are common all over the Middle East. Lots of man hours are required to keep them in peak form--not to mention the irrigation!


I took pictures of the set up, the teams, the crew, a VIP guest--more on him later--and generally wore myself out! It was a fun day, and I made some new friends.

View towards the entrance of the park

The VIP tent

You are never far from a mosque!

Entering the park 

A multi-cultural mix of participants!

I don't know if they count this as one tree, two trees, or multiple trees, but it was definitely interesting to look at!

This "Busy Bees" team had lots of spirit!
A fellow photographer taking a picture of me taking a picture of her!
This team planned ahead with their Angry Birds t-shirts--and hoped to win, too!





Team members were from all over the world--Syria, India, Oman, Iran, Pakistan, U.K., Australia, South Africa, America, and more! Each team was given a list of 30 oems to buy, find, get a signature on, or take a picture of at the Souk. Teams were also timed and scored, best scores being used to determining the winners, with times being used to break any ties. It was a fierce competition, but the prizes were definitely worth it to those who participated!

One of the crew members joking around with me during a break between
the teams leaving and coming back after the scavenger hunt. 

The "surprise" VIP guest was His Excellency Mohammed Bait Al Zafeer, 4th from the left
 His Excellency leaving the park
 In my blog post "Ladies Luncheon", I visited the Bait Al Zafeer Museum. The museum once was the family home of His Excellency, which he donated and renovated for the museum. It is my understanding that His Excellency is a close and long-time friend of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos. It was quite exciting to all Oman residents that he was present to help launch the Center of Omani Dress Museum!

I hope to be able to visit the Center of Omani Dress Museum soon, once they have their displays set up and be able to share that with you too!


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog Debi!
    Simple, fun ,and love the way you capture details. We are reminded to appreciate beauty around us in muscat.
    Monika

    ReplyDelete

Followers