Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Friday (Sunday) brunch

I'm a little behind in posting--we've had a busy last few days. We have been getting acquainted with other expat Americans, which has been very enjoyable. It is nice to talk to people you have something in common with! I am also making new friends here in the apartment complex--non-American expats. I am learning a lot and hope to share some of those stories soon!

While it is still hot here, it is beginning to cool down. The weather in the evening is finally beginning to lend itself to sitting/dining outside---BUT only if you have some kind of fan blowing! I learned that in addition to heaters in the pool during the Omani winter, they run a refrigerant cooler of some kind in the summer, else the water would be too hot to swim in. A fellow swimmer told me they had trouble adjusting the cool temp at times, and it felt like the Arctic when in the water. I think that's the coldest I'll be while we are here.

As many of you know, I've had trouble adjusting the to food/diet/smells/aromas here. There are many, and they are pungent. However, I am becoming a little more acclimated and Don thought he would try me on a restaurant serving local cuisine. I thought we were walking into abandoned buildings that were overgrown with jungle plants. I am not ashamed to admit I thought Don had lost his marbles!

As we walked into the restaurant--it was just a hallway of sorts that we passed through and went back outside again. We finally meandered down the path (think Babe's, only more paths, lots of plant life, and a stone trail) and arrived at the real restaurant's indoor eating area. It was beautifully decorated. Cushioned benches with pillows ran the entire length of one wall, the wood tables were darkly stained and there were cushioned love-seat-type benches for individual chairs around some of the tables.







The food was definitely local. I had carrot soup--it was very good; Don had the chicken soup and said it was good, but I wasn't going for it. The salad was the best I've had since arriving. Of course, Don did the whole hummus and other dishes that were offered. I tried the fish, some rice and had a bite of Don's chicken. For me, all in all I thought I did pretty well.






Then the dessert buffet was interesting. You can see it in the background. The bread pudding was good, but I am still trying to adjust to the new taste of dairy products. I also tried a piece of pastry very similar to apple pie and some kind of fried dough. They were both relatively good. Our waiter was a little surprised that we asked to take his picture, but he finally complied. You can see the buffet in the background. The decor was absolutely authentic and charming. I'm sure we'll be going back.


We met with fellow Americans last night at a voter registration party. They served good old American hamburgers and hot dogs. While I would love to taste a hot dog again, I was wary of what they might have tasted like and went for the burger instead! I was invited to have lunch with a few American wives tomorrow, so it seems that my social calendar is beginning to be filled up.

With that, I will leave you with my final thought. Don is posing outside a steak restaurant in the picture below. Would that ad be appealing enough to you to make you want to eat there?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers