Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Anyone need a lift?

Well, as much as I dread it, I have come to the realization that I must get a car so that I can get out and around in this city. You cannot walk hardly anywhere. If I want to attend Bible study, American Women's Club, have lunch with the girls, or just do basic grocery shopping, I must be able to drive myself. I don't know who should dread that more: me, for being scared to death of the other drivers and not understanding the true maze of roads in this city; Don, for having to potentially pay damages for an accident or worrying about me being injured and/or sent to jail; or the local Omani's who will have to contend with me on the road!

Just to set the scene: 

  1. Many of the streets do not have names. If they do, it's like Way 2488 or Way 1670. I have only seen street signs on two of the major roads. That's it--no others.
  2. None of the major highways are marked by name or number. For instance, when entering the Muscat Expressway, you just have to know it's the Muscat Expressway. The sign on the entrance ramp will list something like Ghala, which is an area of town. 
  3. They don't use any north, east, south, or west designations.
  4. We live off a street called Boshar, or Bousher, or Boshwair, depending on who manufactured and translated the street sign from Arabic into English.
  5. Boshar (my preferred spelling!) is listed as an exit all along the major highways--how the heck do I know which one I want, especially if I don't know which highway I'm on?
  6. All the highways and streets run in circles. I'm dizzy and thoroughly disoriented within 5 minutes of leaving the house.
  7. Roundabouts. Do I need to explain this one? For those of you who have never used a roundabout, it's kind of okay if there isn't much traffic. It's faster than a 4-way stop. However, if there is a lot of traffic, it becomes a major log jam on all four roads feeding into the roundabout. And, the inside lane has the right of way, so if you think you're safe on the right lane of a roundabout and turning right onto your chosen street, think again. That guy on the left has first dibs on your side of the road!
  8. Traffic rules and road signs aren't really laws--they are just suggestions. 
  9. It is okay to back up in the lane of traffic if you missed your turn. 
  10. It's okay to just stop in your lane of traffic if you want to and then pull out again just as randomly. 
  11. If you are tired of waiting for that opportunity of a clear spot to turn onto the street you want, no problem--just nose your car out and everybody else will automatically know it's your turn to go.
  12. You can make a left turn from the right or straight-only lane. The cars in the left turn lanes expect this (not!)
  13. Taxis stop in the shoulder or lane of traffic to pick up or let out passengers, who think nothing of stepping into lanes of traffic. This can be on a highway or major street.
  14. The police do not ticket for traffic violations or speeding. Speeding tickets are issued via radar. The police only drive on the roads to be available when there are wrecks. (And there are LOTS of wrecks and high fatality rates!)
  15. Left turn lanes are very uncommon. You usually have to drive way past the spot where you want to turn left and make a U-turn that is governed by the light. This is to protect the other drivers and themselves from making poor decisions on when they can turn left. It also contributes to you not always being able to reach your desired destination......
Stay tuned--my driving lessons start tomorrow and I will keep you updated on my progress. Pictures will follow, I'm sure. We'll see next week what kind of car I'll end up with--that is, if I don't get lost on my way back from somewhere, never to be seen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers