Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

How many Aggies does it take to......?

This posting today is dedicated to all you Texas Aggie fans out there--hence the maroon text color! If you are not from Texas, then you possibly don't know what an "Aggie" is. An Aggie is a graduate and/or fan of Texas A&M University. We have many dear friends who are Texas Aggie fans, among them Bart and Susan (note all the maroon Aggie t-shirts they are wearing in the photo below). We were video conferencing over the Internet this morning, and their microphone wasn't working. They brought their daughter in to help, but to no avail. I found a help video online and was playing it for them to see if we could figure out the problem (they could hear me, I just couldn't hear them. As we were trying to figure out the problem, it suddenly dawned on me that I had THREE Aggies trying to fix the  sound problem. I took a screen shot (below) as I made the joke. We had a GREAT laugh about it, finally figured out that it was a microphone setting in the Internet Tools options, and went on with our conference. Now, if you aren't familiar with Aggie jokes, this posting may seem a little weird to you, but it is just another interesting facet of life and the use of international Internet--always unpredictable here in Oman!

In other breaking news, I feel like a 16-year old kid with a new driver's license. I finally, finally got my Omani driver's license about two weeks ago. Don still hasn't been letting me drive anywhere, but I made a new friend--Wanda (you can check out her blog as well at http://wandainoman.blogspot.com) who has wheels and is not afraid to try them out! I hope Wanda isn't offended she's on the Aggie posting today because she is a huge UT fan--I'm sure she'll forgive me! Anyway, last week she came to get me and we went to the Souk--the old market to pick up some jewelry. The vendor was so appreciative of the business that he bought us cokes and left us to enjoy the beautiful view from the sidewalk cafe. Can I say that the weather was just perfect?
Well, I guess my shot doesn't show the ocean very well, but FYI the big boat in
 the port behind me (behind the orange and white taxi) is the Royal Yacht.
Now, Don is on a business trip this week, and he had to leave me the car. Talk about being a nervous wreck. I've seen that look on his face three other times in his life--Taylor, Rusty and Caitlyn's first outings in the family car. You'd think he'd at least have the grace to show more faith in his wife than in his 3 teenagers! I dropped him off at the office at 6 a.m. He came around to the driver's side to tell me goodbye. His last words to me were, "Call me when you get back to the apartment. And it's a rental car, so if you have a wreck or anything goes wrong, call the numbers I gave you and call me and we'll get it taken care of." Whoa--can you believe he has so little faith in me? And you know what I was thinking as I "peeled" out of the parking lot? FREEEEDOM! Yeah, baby--mama's gonna have some fun shopping!

P.S. I made it home without incident. I made it to church for the women's fellowship without incident. I made it to the mall closest to our house without incident (and as a side note, didn't spend too much money). However, the 2 young Indian men who wanted to wash my car for me did have to help me pull into the smallest parking space in the world. (Can I say all parking spaces are compact size over here and I was in a very big SUV trying to park between a huge concrete column and another car.) They got a nice tip from me because they helped me into the space and out of the space without me hitting anything! I think they were laughing at me behind my back, but who cares. To quote Evelyn from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes", "I'm older and I've got insurance" or in my case I've got time, wheels to drive, and tracks to make! Don is so in trouble now that I've had a taste of freedom..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers