Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Only qualified cooks need apply....

Well, I was going to post this yesterday, but I had a few things come up. First of all, pray for my dad who was taken by ambulance to the hospital yesterday because he couldn't breathe. He's okay now, they just need to figure out what's causing it. With that said, I will now educate you on food/food prep in Oman.

Below is a picture of my gas stove. I'm lucky in that I have an electric starter so that I don't have to use a match to light the burner or oven. However, there is a down side. The gas alarm keeps going off on my gas stove. I don't even have to be using it for it to go off. It has gone off morning, noon, and night. One night I thought it would beep the entire night until Don figured out how to turn off the alarm. They've been out at least 4 or 5 times to see why alarm is going off. Mostly, they thought it was the dingy American housewife who just didn't know how to operate it--until Don got his office involved and they communicated that it was a real problem and safety issue! Finally, this morning, after it went off yet again (while I was mopping, not even using the silly thing!), they have decided to replace the entire unit since there are no other parts left to replace! It has been a huge ordeal so far, as is everything in this country. Here is a pic of my infamous stove--please note the platform on which it sits.....
There is one shelf in the oven and a weird little attachment for a
rotisserie--which is only big enough for a small roasting hen.

Due to the extreme safety issues we have been dealing with as regards cooking, Don and I decided to purchase a small grill for the balcony patio. When I say small, I mean small. Here's Don holding it while putting it together. It is big enough for 2 burgers and a sausage link!





Now, on to my next topic for the day: food. I have a few choice photographs of food available in the local grocery stores.

Can you tell what a "Tit-Bit" is? The best I could figure is some kind of soy rind or
something like that--since pork is forbidden. Spot the Arabic writing on the label?
Yum, yum. Tomato Ketchup potato chips--everyone's favorite flavor.
These are just a couple of examples of different food products here. Of course, we have to be very careful about where our food comes from. Fortunately for us, they label almost every item in the grocery stores as to their origin. We will buy beef and frozen vegetables from New Zealand. We will buy dairy from Switzerland or Germany. Eggs--we have to watch out there. First time we bought eggs, they turned out to be orange. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that (orange is actually a good color for an egg, or so I read on the Internet--and we all know if it's on the Internet, it's got to be true!), but after a few bites neither Don nor I had no desire for  more.

Deli meat is somewhat hard to come by to use in making sandwiches. Needless to say, I'm eating a lot of peanut butter these days. I did cook some wonderful ground beef last night, paired with a can of Old El Paso refried beans and stale taco shells. It was one of the best meals we've had at home so far. I'm guessing the shells were stale because they don't move off the shelf that fast here! However, chips are a little better, so we'll probably be doing more nachos and less tacos from now on! But they have to replace my oven first.......darn, no cooking till then!

That's all today--have a good one!




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers